[Haskell-beginners] RWH Ch. 27 TCP Server Example

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 19:05:34 EDT 2009

Hi all,
I am trying to understand the TCP Syslog Server example [1] from RWH.
Specifically my question is on this piece of code:
          -- | Process incoming messages
          procMessages :: MVar () -> Socket -> SockAddr -> IO ()
          procMessages lock connsock clientaddr =
              do connhdl <- socketToHandle connsock ReadMode
                 hSetBuffering connhdl LineBuffering
                 messages <- hGetContents connhdl
                 mapM_ (handle lock clientaddr) (lines messages)
                 hClose connhdl
                 handle lock clientaddr
                    "syslogtcpserver.hs: client disconnected"

How does control stay on "mapM_ (handle lock clientaddr) (lines
messages)" ? It would seem that the server would handle one message
and immediately close the handle and end - but it doesn't. I'm
guessing this has something to do with laziness, but I don't see how
to apply it.

thanks ..
-deech

[1] http://book.realworldhaskell.org/read/sockets-and-syslog.html