[Haskell-beginners] Default values for Data Types?

Mike Sullivan mbsullivan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 21:38:30 EDT 2008

Hi Brent and Brandon,

Thank you for responding! Okay, so from the responses it seems that it's
simple to define a "datatype" (partially applied function, really) which has
"default" parameters for all fields. Or, using the same method, for the
first N fields (N is less than or equal to the number of fields):

defaultCust = Customer 0 "" -- for instance, building upon Brent's example

However, it's not quite so easy to pick and choose (define only the name,
for instance). I guess this really isn't too much of a limitation, since a
simple function could set any defaults you want:

defaultCust2 id addr = Customer id "Bill" addr -- function which simulates a
default value for "name"

So despite the lack of syntactic sugar, the simplicity and power of
functions can make do. One down side, however, is that you lose the
flexibility of record syntax (unless there is an analogue for functions that
I don't know about).

Mike