[Haskell-beginners] Possible to update Haskell syntax

Tillmann Rendel rendel at daimi.au.dk
Tue Nov 25 23:25:07 EST 2008

cm wrote:
> The logic of making "function application as easy as possible" in
> Haskell is compelling, yet I can't help but wonder if an alternate
> context dependent syntax would be desribable?  Specifically, when inside
> a pair of brackets make construction of lists as easy as possible as
> opposed giving priority to functions.

I guess that would be possible, but there are some technical problems,
e.g. what to do with binary operators. Would [a + b c] mean [(+) a (b
c)], [(+) a b, c], [a, (+), b, c], [a, (+), b c] or something else?
Currently, it means the first of these choices.

However, I don't see why it would be a good idea. The obvious
disadvantage is making the syntax more complicated, and more fragile.
For example, you no longer could move an expression inside a brackets
while refactoring your code.

Regarding possible advantages: Do you have a specific use case in mind,
which could be written easier or cleaner with this list syntax?

   Tillmann