[Haskell-beginners] Profiling haskell code

Sayali Kulkarni Sayali.Kulkarni at kpitcummins.com
Thu Nov 13 02:57:50 EST 2008

I am new to Haskell. I have written a small quicksort function in
Haskell. I want to profile it for time.

I have GHC 6.10.1 version and I have also installed the extra-libs that
it has on the Haskell home page.

I followed the following steps for installing the extra-libs:

$ cd /to/the/library/source
$ runghc Setup.hs configure --enable-library-profiling
$ runghc Setup.hs build
$ runghc Setup.hs install

Following is the quicksort code that I'm using:

quicksort [ ] = [ ]

quicksort (x : xs) = quicksort larger ++ [x ] ++ quicksort smaller

smaller = [a | a <- xs, a <= x ]

larger = [b | b <- xs, b > x ]

When I compile the code with the following command :

$ ghc --make Project.hs -prof -auto-all
Then I tested it with the following command :
$ Project +RTS -p
It generates the .hi and the .o file but I cannot get the .prof file.
Please let me know if any of the steps is missing or where could I check
my profiling info.