[Haskell-begin] beginners mailing list should be beginner's choice

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Mon Jul 21 13:48:39 EDT 2008

Just to avoid any misunderstanding...

I am certain that C.M. Brown meant to say "CC'ed the Haskell-beginners
mailing list" instead of "moved", but I think it's worth emphasizing
that the new beginners list was ostensibly created for various discussed
reasons, but all to provide a more tailored forum for beginners, not to
restrict participation on haskell-cafe. Words like "move" could sound to
a beginner like a dismissal or demotion.

(This policy is clearly different from the haskell list, which has a
much stronger collegially-enforced moderation policy limited to
announcements.)

I would hate to think that people on the beginners list might worry that
their questions were not "good enough" to join the "grown-ups" on
haskell-cafe. I think CC'ing to beginners is hint enough, and soon
enough people will choose the best forum for their comfort level.

Dan