[Haskell-begin] Exercises for beginners and Natural Tansformations

Tony Morris tmorris at tmorris.net
Sat Jul 19 16:36:14 EDT 2008

Hi Federico,
You would be best to use a left-fold (called foldLeft in the
exercises) for Exercise 2 (sum :: List[Int ] -> Int) because it is
tail recursive and *forces the accumulator*. This is analogous to
foldl'. However, foldl,
while tail recursive, does not force the accumulator. You can see that
foldLeft uses a function call 'seq'.

You might also be interested in this explanation of a left-fold on
lists (if you can read Scala - it translates directly from Haskell):
http://blog.tmorris.net/scalalistfoldleft-for-java-programmers/

Notice that stack space remains constant as the list is traversed,
since in this case, it is a loop.

- --
Tony Morris
http://tmorris.net/

Real-world problems are simply degenerate cases of pure mathematical
problems.