[Haskell-begin] Tangential Studies?

apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Fri Jul 18 04:47:36 EDT 2008

Steve Klabnik wrote:
> Unfortunately, at my university, we don't do much in the way of functional
> programming. At all. So I've been trying to work on it outside of class as
> much as possible. I'm going through the exercises in SICP. I've picked up
> "The Haskell School of Expression," as well as " Basic Category Theory for
> Computer Scientists." (which I'm finding is not very basic, at least for
> someone as new to the topic as I am)

I'd also recommend

   Richard Bird. Introduction to Functional Programming in Haskell.

> But what else can I do? While my fall classes are scheduled, my spring
> classes must consist of 15 credits of anything I want to take. Should I take
> some math courses? Which ones? Anything related that I should study?

While not directly related, taking math courses improves your Haskell skills
automatically :) Discrete mathematics is the umbrella term for the math you
want, which includes things like graph theory, combinatorics and logic.
Intuitionistic logic and type theory are directly related to Haskell.

> The best way to improve coding ability is to actually code.

Try some problems at

   http://projecteuler.net/

Regards,
apfelmus