[Haskell-begin] Tangential Studies?

Steve Klabnik steve.klabnik at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 01:45:10 EDT 2008

Hello everyone-

Unfortunately, at my university, we don't do much in the way of functional
programming. At all. So I've been trying to work on it outside of class as
much as possible. I'm going through the exercises in SICP. I've picked up
"The Haskell School of Expression," as well as " Basic Category Theory for
Computer Scientists." (which I'm finding is not very basic, at least for
someone as new to the topic as I am)

I've subscribed to this mailing list.

But what else can I do? While my fall classes are scheduled, my spring
classes must consist of 15 credits of anything I want to take. Should I take
some math courses? Which ones? Anything related that I should study?

The best way to improve coding ability is to actually code. But I'm
attempting to do everything I can, and so suggestions as to how you all
improve yourselves and your abilities would be welcomed.