[Haskell-beginners] Enum and Bounded in generic type

Paul Visschers mail at paulvisschers.net
Tue Dec 30 12:50:22 EST 2008

You seem to be having some trouble with the type system, not just in
this instance. I found when I was learning Haskell that when this
happens, it is useful to not add type annotations, then load it up in
GHCi and see what it comes up with (with the aforementions :t option).
Then you can see why that makes sense and possibly change the function.
Once you're happy with the function and are confident you understand its
type, go ahead and put the type annotation back into your source code.

I also found it useful to play around with various expressions and see
what their types where. Especially with things like partial application,
function composition and monadic functions.

Paul