[Haskell-beginners] 'Iterating a data type'

Paul Visschers mail at paulvisschers.net
Tue Dec 30 05:30:17 EST 2008

You actually have two different questions. The first about iteration can
be done by the function map in the following way:

Instead of [func Square, func Circle, func Triangle] you use:
map func [Square, Circle, Triangle].

The list comprehensions should also work:
[func x | x <- [Square, Circle, Triangle]]

Now as for obtaining/generating all values of Shape, the easiest way is
to make Shape an instance of Enum, like this:
data Shape = Square | Circle | Triangle deriving Enum

You can then generate a list of all the values by:
enumFrom Square

You use Square here because it is the first constructor of Shape, and
you want to enumerate them all.

I hope this helps,

Paul