[Haskell-beginners] Useful set of -W switches for .ghci?

Александър Л. Димитров aleks_d at gmx.de
Fri Dec 5 13:03:33 EST 2008

Hey list,

I'm currently using :set -Wall in my .ghci to enforce some good coding practices
on my side. Something like missing type signatures and the like. It has saved me
quite a lot of hassle over the last couple of days as I experimented more with
Haskell. But it seems, -Wall may be just a little too… overzealous:

Prelude> 2^2

    Warning: Defaulting the following constraint(s) to type `Integer'
             `Num t' arising from a use of `^' at <interactive>:1:0-2

    Warning: Defaulting the following constraint(s) to type `Integer'
             `Integral t' arising from a use of `^' at <interactive>:1:0-2

    Warning: Defaulting the following constraint(s) to type `Integer'
             `Num t' arising from a use of `^' at <interactive>:1:0-2

    Warning: Defaulting the following constraint(s) to type `Integer'
             `Integral t' arising from a use of `^' at <interactive>:1:0-2
4

(I've shortened ghci's response a bit)

So, do you have a good (recommended) set of -W switches for a newbie playing
around in GHCi, so I can learn a good style? Forgive me if it's somewhere on
page one of some book or tutorials - I've read so many of both, I'm beginning to
forget things.

Thanks,
Aleks