[Haskell-beginners] findSubstring deprecated

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Tue Aug 26 17:43:02 EDT 2008

Am Dienstag, 26. August 2008 17:43 schrieb Rafael Gustavo da Cunha Pereira
> Two quick questions:
> 1) Is there any replacement for the (now deprecated) findSubstring function
> on ByteString.Char8?
> 2) Does it work with ByteString.Lazy.Char8?
> Best Regards,
> Rafael Gustavo da Cunha Pereira Pinto
> Electronic Engineer, MSc.

Use the stringsearch package:

That has pretty fast stringsearch functions (usually, Boyer-Moore is faster
than Knuth-Morris-Pratt) for strict and lazy ByteStrings.
I'm not sure if it works on ByteString(.Lazy).Char8, too, or only on Word8
ByteStrings, but it would be trivial to adapt, just change the import.

There's one thing to be aware of, however, if there are overlapping occurences
of the searched-for string, KMP reports only the first of their indices, BM

Maybe we should complete it and also add search&replace functions?