[Haskell-beginners] ghci interactive behaviour.

Venkat Ramanan venkatr2004 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 17:23:26 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm just beginning to learn haskell.

I see some strange behaviour in ghci. Don't know if it is related to
readline.

Behaviour-1:
Lets say after we enter an expression, we just hit "Enter" 3 times to insert
3 empty lines. To get back the expression, we need to do <C-p> ( or up-arrow
) 3 times.

In other words, the empty lines seem to be stored in the history. Bash ( and
tcsh ) seem to save only non-empty lines.

Behaviour-2:
It doesn't seem to do pruning of duplicates. If the same expression is
entered twice, both of them are stored in the history instead of just one.
Bash uses environmental variables (HISTCONTROL and HISTIGNORE ) to modify
this behavior.

Is there a way to get saner behaviour like in bash?

I'm using ghc-6.8.2 which comes with ubuntu 8.04.

Thanks,
Venkat.