[Haskell-beginners] purely functional (non-monadic) alternativesfor Haskell animations in _The Haskell School of Expression_?

Chaddaï Fouché chaddai.fouche at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 09:14:46 EDT 2008

2008/8/13 Bayley, Alistair <Alistair.Bayley at invesco.com>:
>> First, monad /= imperative
>> It is important to establish this distinction which doesn't seem to be
>> very clear in some minds...
>
> I think Matthias Felleisen probably understands this, but I could be wrong...

I think so too, but we're on Haskell-beginners and the formulation was
much too ambiguous to let it pass, I would prefer that beginners in
Haskell don't start with the idea that Monad are always imperative,
it's already too current a misunderstanding.

> I had a quick scan of the SOE source and it looks as though all of the graphics operations are in IO (). I don't see why you couldn't rearrange it so that describing shapes was purely functional, while rendering was still IO () (required by OpenGL, I assume), but it looks like it could be quite a bit of work.

That's unfortunate. Of course IO (or some FRP hiding the IO) is still
required to do the rendering, but it would be much nicer to split
those concerns.

--
Jedaï