[Haskell-beginners] purely functional (non-monadic) alternatives for Haskell animations in _The Haskell School of Expression_?

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 07:53:16 EDT 2008

Recently, I mentioned Paul Hudak's _The Haskell School of Expression_
(see http://www.haskell.org/soe/) as an example of using multimedia
examples to motivate learning programming in another education-related
programming mailing list, plt-scheme, in a thread there entitled "More
pedagogic stuff" (see
http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2008-August/026441.html).

In reply, a respondent, Matthias Felleisen, wrote the following (see
http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2008-August/026445.html):

>P.S. Yes, I have read Paul's book and I think Haskell has something
>to it.
>You may be surprised to learn, however, that world.ss animations are
>purely functional while Haskell animations (in Paul's book) are actually
>quasi-imperative. That is, they are using monads and carry the
>imperativeness
>on their sleeves.

SOE animations so that they do not use monads and are "purely
functional?"

-- Benjamin L. Russell