[arch-haskell] ghc-vis

stef204 stef204 at yandex.com
Tue Oct 13 13:45:52 UTC 2015

13.10.2015, 06:44, "Magnus Therning" <magnus at therning.org>:

> The package `haskell-graphviz` is no longer in [haskell-core]. Right
> now I can't recall why I removed it, but most likely it was a lack of
> upstream updates resulting in other packages being kept back.
>
>>  During 'cabal install ghc-vis --disable-library-profiling' several
>>  libraries fail with messages:
>>
>>  failed to install glib-0.12.5.4
>>  Build log ( /home/($user)/Documents/hs/hswork/projects/101/.cabal-sandbox/logs/glib-0.12.5.4.log ):
>>  Failed to install cairo-0.12.5.3
>>  Build log ( /home/($user)/Documents/hs/hswork/projects/101/.cabal-sandbox/logs/cairo-0.12.5.3.log ):
>
> When installing `haskell-gtk` you should have gotten `haskell-glib` and
> `haskell-cairo` too (as well as `haskell-pango`). `cabal` ought to have
> picked that up.

Yes, I did--but cabal does not seem to pick it up.  I am thinking it is because I am trying to install ghc-vis in a sandbox and cabal is not seeing the other packages installed via haskell-core with pacman but if I understand you correctly, this should not the case. Correct or incorrect?

>>  The log files above are empty, so no help there.
>>
>>  I have done 'cabal install gtk2hs-buildtools' successfully but does
>>  not seem to help above errors.
>
> You can find `gtk2hs-buildtools` in [haskell-core].

Installed it.

cabal still wants to install newer versions, amongst other things:

% cabal install --dry-run ghc-vis --disable-library-profiling
Resolving dependencies...
In order, the following would be installed (use -v for more details):
colour-2.3.3
dlist-0.7.1.2
fgl-5.5.2.3
ghc-heap-view-0.5.4
polyparse-1.11
stm-2.4.4
transformers-compat-0.4.0.4
exceptions-0.8.0.2
temporary-1.2.0.3
utf8-string-0.3.8 (latest: 1.0.1.1)
cairo-0.12.5.3 (latest: 0.13.1.0)
glib-0.12.5.4 (latest: 0.13.2.1)
gio-0.12.5.3 (latest: 0.13.1.0)
pango-0.12.5.3 (latest: 0.13.1.0)
gtk-0.12.5.7 (latest: 0.13.9)
svgcairo-0.12.5.2 (latest: 0.13.0.3)
wl-pprint-text-1.1.0.4
graphviz-2999.18.0.1
xdot-0.2.4.8
ghc-vis-0.6 (latest: 0.7.2.7)

And re-trying % cabal install ghc-vis --disable-library-profiling, I get same errors re. glib and and cairo.....

Are we sure it isn't because of the sandbox issue?

>>  I am doing all of the above in a sandbox, which is probably not the
>>  best for ghc-vis but since I have no experience with cabal and didn't
>>  want to make errors and possibly pollute my system with difficult to
>>  track files, I figured I'd try to build in a sandbox, at first--which
>>  could be the cause of the problem?
>>
>>  Or possibly I should remove the official haskell-gtk and let cabal
>>  take care of this?
>
> In general I try to avoid mixing use of [haskell-core] and `cabal`.

I would like to avoid using cabal but to do that, I would need an alternative solution, e.g. find ghc-vis somewhere else, in this particular case.

>>  Would very much appreciate some feedback as to how to resolve.
>
> Personally I'm so familiar with the tools we se for [haskell-core] that
> I often build proper Arch packages for everything :)

I would love to do that as well but am so new to this whole haskell/cabal issue that not so easy to take the plunge, while trying to focus on learning the basics or haskell....

I saw some info about cblrepo which didn't sound very encouraging to someone just starting out:
<http://funloop.org/post/2014-01-06-using-cblrepo-in-arch-linux.html>

How would I go about building the Arch package before installing it...?

> I very rarely use `cabal` for anything.

Again, I would like to not have to use cabal and be able to integrate everything with pacman so that I can keep track of all dependencies and packages easily.

> I've lately had a closer look at `stack` (available in [haskell-core] as
> `haskell-stack-bin`) and if ghc-vis produces one or more binaries (i.e.
> no libs that you are interested in) then it might be a good way to build
> it.

Can you please explain in more detail what you mean by that exactly?  How would I go about it?
1) pacman -S haskell-stack-bin
2) then?  How do I find out if "ghc-vis produces one or more binaries"?

The only thing I see so far is: <http://hackage.haskell.org/package/ghc-vis>

Thanks a lot for your feedback.