[arch-haskell] Cblrepo and dependencies

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Apr 24 15:11:01 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 02:51:08PM +0100, SP wrote:
> On 24/04/15 13:04, Magnus Therning wrote:
> > If I re-install ghc all information about installed packages is
> > lost, on the ghc-level [..] When re-installing ghc these two
> > databases aren't in sync anymore and using `pacman` to install
> > results in errors on the `ghc-pkg` level. Basically, `pacman` won't
> > re-install all dependencies, since they are already installed, but
> > when registering with `ghc-pkg` it has no records of those
> > dependencies.
>
> Can we protect the system from such mistakes? I guess the ideal
> solution would be to rsync the databases somehow after ghc is
> reinstalled.

The only solution I can see is to do something clever in the
ghc.install (`pre_upgrade` and `post_upgrade`).  I'm not sure exactly
what information is available though.  One would probably need enough
information to distinguish a re-install from an upgrade.

I should add that  you are the very first one ever to report this
problem.  Also, I'm still not clear on *why* `pacman` all of a sudden
decides to re-install ghc on your system.  If you figure out why, then
that might very well be a more natural place to fix the issue than
inside the ghc package.  (I'm guessing random re-installs can happen
for other packages on your system, though not with such disastrous
effects.)

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Unix is the answer, but only if you phrase the question very
carefully.
     -- Unknown