[arch-haskell] Fwd: gitit status update and why are deps needed for binaries

Fabien Dubosson fabien.dubosson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 10:57:51 UTC 2015

> The last time I looked at using the shared libs there were issues with
> rpath, basically ghc put in a search path reflecting the build dir and
> not the install-libdir.  This was probably in the 7.6 times though.
> One would hope this has improved since.  The Nix guys did have a
> solution to this, and IIRC it involved rewriting the rpath after
> linking.

A more or less elegant solution to the rpath problem was found in a
`/etc/ld.so.conf.d/haskell.conf' file which specify the location of the
shared libraries, e.g. `/usr/lib/ghc-7.6.3/sharedg'. Details in [2].

This solution was working well for most of the package, I remember being
able to build pandoc with shared libraries, but sadly not for gtk,
which has a kind of bootstrapping method that was not working with
`-dynload=deploy' flag.

It was with GHC 7.6, but as show in [3] the option is still present in
latest GHC. Maybe it is worth another try, gtk could have changed! Not
sure to have the time, but if yes I'll try it again.

++ Fabien

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.arch-linux/1792
[2] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.arch-linux/1795
[3] https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/using-shared-libs.html#finding-shared-libs