[arch-haskell] Fwd: gitit status update and why are deps needed for binaries

SP sp at orbitalfox.com
Tue Apr 14 11:51:06 UTC 2015

I am for some kind of splitting. See below.

On 14/04/15 06:42, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On 14 April 2015 at 02:21, Nicola Squartini <tensor5 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Solving the problem of pandoc and gitit binaries taking so much space, would
>> require splitting the packages in two. [..]
>
> The reasons we don't do that sort of splitting are two:
>
> 1. The tool that helps with packaging `clbrepo` doesn't support it,
> and most importantly

Maybe it is a call for looking into such support. Haskell packages are
huge! There has to be a significant population of users which want a
lean & mean machine. It takes about 900 MiB of installation size for
haskell-conduit. Addressing this will help with adoption.

> 2. splitting into -bin and -dev packages, like in Debian/Ubuntu/...,
> isn't the norm in Arch

Maybe not -bin and -dev then, but something has to give. I didn't see
anything against it in the packaging standards. We can liaise with the
core team to find out the Arch-y way for this issue.

--
	SP