[arch-haskell] Pandoc fails creating document with citation styles

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Sep 11 20:58:00 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 09:13:35AM +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 11:25:44PM +0600, Ray Rashif wrote:
> > On 6 September 2014 17:58, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> > > I ran into this a week or two ago but haven't had time to look into
> > > it.  I used a manually modified citation style that I got from one of
> > > those main citation style sites.  What I did notice is that using the
> > > default style (i.e. not specifying any CSL at all) works.  I'm not
> > > sure, but I suspect that piecemeal turning the default CSL into one
> > > that is accepted might reveal what causes the issue.  Then it's easier
> > > to assign blame, pandoc-citeproc, pandoc, XML parser lib, etc...
> >
> > Yes, I mentioned that in my post to the pandoc group:
> >
> > "f I don't supply a style, pandoc runs successfully and produces the
> > document with the bibliography and the default style."
> >
> > And guess what, it occurred to me to replace the default style with
> > one of the other styles, and this just worked! I have no idea how as
> > I needed to do actual work instead of troubleshoot and I badly
> > needed APA even though I dislike it.
>
> I can report that I've verified this rather strange behaviour (most
> likely it's an example of a particularly bad error message).  I
> raised a bug too: https://github.com/jgm/pandoc-citeproc/issues/81

It turns out the non-hexpat XML loading/parsing is broken in
pandoc-citeproc.  I'm in the process of adding hexpat to the repo and
re-building pandoc-citeproc.  An updated version should hit the repo
within the hour.

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
     -- Alan Kay