[arch-haskell] devtools version problem

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Oct 28 18:12:10 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 12:39:31PM +0100, Fabien Dubosson wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> With a little help of "git bisect" on the devtools repository (
> https://projects.archlinux.org/devtools.git/), I have found the reason of
> the following kind of messages:
>
>     Diff-0.3.0: cannot find libHSDiff-0.3.0.a on library path (use --force
> to override)
>
> The commit 0d16a9135055d0c998cac236608cb630c93f0ac7 (
> https://projects.archlinux.org/devtools.git/commit/?id=0d16a9135055d0c998cac236608cb630c93f0ac7)
> make "!staticlibs" default in makepkg.conf. So every chroot environment
> containing this version will throw away static libraries when building
> packages. The commit was pushed to arch repository 8 days ago, so only
> newest chroot environments have this problem.

Interesting.  I suspect this is related to the discussions on the
Arch mailing list about static libs.

> I see two solutions:
>
>   1. Change the "makepkg.conf" when creating the chroot environment
>      to remove "!staticlibs", or, better
>   2. Change cblrepo to add «options=('strip' 'staticlibs')» when
>      generating the PKGBUILDs.
>
> Because I don't know if all packages have/need these static
> libraries, I ask you, experienced arch-haskeller, to point me the
> right direction?

We absolutely do need the static libs to be included in the generated
packages.  Ghc 7.6 uses static linking by default and thus all our
tool packages rely on static libs in order to build properly.  It
could of course be changed but it'd require a change to cblrepo to
generate PKGBUILDs that uses `depends` rather than `makedepends`.

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Hard work may not kill me, but why take the chance.