[arch-haskell] Status of OpenGL in Arch Haskell?

gdweber at iue.edu gdweber at iue.edu
Sat Oct 12 07:40:16 UTC 2013

On 2012-Jul-11, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM,  <gdweber at iue.edu> wrote:
> > "hoko" requested adding the OpenGL package and others
> > in issue #73 on archhaskell/habs.
> >
> > I made a pull request (issue #82) two weeks ago which would
> > add OpenGL and related packages.
> >
> > I'm puzzled by the lack of response (no comments or other action).
> > Does it mean:
> > -   The addition of OpenGL is unwelcome?
> > -   My commits need improvement before they can be pulled?
> >     Please tell me how.*
> > -   The habs maintainers are very busy?  If this is the case,
> >     I'm sorry to be a pest.  I'm a little nervous about its being
> >     "closed due to age" like #52.
> >
> > *From somewhere I have the impression that I should
> > "rebase" my branch onto master, maybe something like this:
> >
> > $ git checkout master
> > $ git pull upstream       # upstream is archhaskell/habs
> > $ git push myfork master  # myfork is gdweber/habs
> >
> > $ git checkout opengl     # opengl is my topic branch
> > $ git rebase master
> > $ git push myfork opengl
> >
> > But there is a very stern warning,
> > "Do not rebase commits that you have pushed to a public repository"
> > from the Pro Git book,
> >
> >     http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Branching-Rebasing
> >
> > so I'm hesitant to do that without explicit instructions.
> > I'm very inexperienced with git.
>
> It's mostly due to inactivity by me.
>
> If you were to do the following:
>
> 1. rebase on archhaskell/master

I will give this a try.

> 2. build for both i686 and x86_64

I can do this for x86_64, but I do not have access to any i686
with Arch Linux, so as far as I know, I can't build packages for i686.

> 3. upload the built packages to a place where I can get them

I think I can find such a place.

> all before I make the next set of updates (will most likely not happen
> until the weekend), then you have minimised my work and maximised your
> chances of getting your work pulled.
>
> ## On working with git
> My policy on rebasing in git: never rebase any published branch that
> others are supposed to base their work on.  That means I never rebase
> `master` or any hotfix branch.  My development branches on the other
> hand I rebase as I like, and sometimes I publish them in order to
> easily work on them from different computers.
>
> ## On working with git in archhaskell
> The `cblrepo.db` file isn't very well suited for version control as it
> is managed by `cblrepo` at the moment.

I agree.

>                                         I think that a simple
> alphabetic sort on the file would improve the situation, but I haven't
> added that to the tool yet.  In practice this means that at the moment
> pull requests are of limited value since rebasing a changeset that
> touches `cblrepo.db` is more work than using `cblrepo` to add the
> packages 'manually'.  Also, modifying the git repo is the minor part
> of adding or updating a package.  What takes time is building the
> affected packages for both supported platforms.

Oh, I see!  So you don't really want pull requests, but built
packages.  Would it be better for me to just email you, when I
have packages to contribute, or open an issue, instead of a pull request?

> /M

Thanks for the instructions and clarifications.

Greg