[arch-haskell] The PKGBUILD provides array

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sat Oct 12 07:40:09 UTC 2013

Alessandro Pezzoni wrote:

> Hi,
> when I asked about it, Magnus Therning explained why they were removed
> [1]. As this seems to affect only ghc, it looks to me like their only
> reason to be kept there would be to simplify making packages with
> PKGBUILDs generated by cabal2arch (such as most of those on the AUR),
> which is deprecated in favour of cblrepo. Is there another reason to
> keep them?
>
> Alessandro
>
> 1: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.arch-linux/1335

Let's say that I want to create some private Haskell packages. These will
depend on certain modules and/or packages. Without proper provides arrays, I
need to keep track of what is provided by ghc & co. myself and update my
dependency arrays whenever it changes. This is not practical.

Automatically populating the array should not be an issue. It just provides
additional information for others without affecting the internal consistency of
[haskell]. Unless it's really hard to generate the array itself, I see only
advantages in doing so and I hope that it will be re-instated.

Regards,
Xyne

Bah, my first reply got sent off-list. Please try to avoid sending replies
directly to me. Thanks.