[arch-haskell] ghc 7.4.1 in a temporary repo

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Oct 12 07:40:03 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 12:03, Johan Holmquist <holmisen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nope, it doesn't.  I don't use i686 myself, so I haven't bothered
>> building it for that architecture yet.  If there is demand for it I
>> could build and upload it during the day.  Anyone else who's
>> interested?
>
> Yes, but on the other hand I'm not sure why it is in it's own repos
> and not in [testing] so I don't know what it will mean for my Haskell
> environment to install ghc.7.4.

The [ghc74] repo is really only temporary repo I've used to compile up
stuff with ghc 7.4, it has existed since before ghc made it into
[testing].  I've just the other day removed the ghc package in [ghc]
and recompiled everything with the package from [testing].  As soon as
I find the time I'll start basing it on the other haskell packages
found in [testing]/[community-testing] (by that time it could be seen
as [haskell-testing] I suppose :-).  Hopefully that clarifies the
situation a bit.

> Unfortunately I am really in need for a stable Arch with stable
> Haskell environment for the next four weeks (bad timing), so all this
> fuss with the migration and haskell packages being removed from
> [extra] makes me nervous. :)

I actually consider the activity in [extra] is a bug, but that's just
me.  Any dependencies on ghc 7.4. found in [extra]/[community] are
definitely bugs.

This is slightly bad timing for your needs it seems.  One solution
might be to pin the haskell related packages you use for the next 4
weeks (and use ARM if you forget to install something from
[extra]/[community]).

Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org