[arch-haskell] Dropping (most of) AUR?

Nicolas Pouillard nicolas.pouillard at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 07:39:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 21:01, Bernardo Barros <bernardobarros2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Magnus Therning
>>> Any thoughts or comments on this?
>>>

>> But there is also cases like qtHaskell that are not straightforward to
>> build by hand, and it is not in hackage. That should have a [aur] if
>> not present in [haskell]
>
> qtHaskell is special, because it's not on Hackage. That's why it isn't
> in [haskell].
>
>> In most cases since cabal does a better job, [aur] packages should be
>> strongly discouraged.
>
> IMNSHO we should never look at cabal as a replacement for an Arch repo or [aur].

How do you make the distinction between using cabal-install and
[haskell] in you day-to-day
use.

I tend to use cabal-install for developpement and [haskell] for
production. But often the two are
quite close and I end up trying to add these packages to [haskell].
There is also issues with
cabal-install itself and in combination to Arch. For instance
cabal-install will build/install a package
which may exists in [haskell]. Does anyone have a solution for that?
Second, there is no cabal-uninstall
and packages are easily broken by Arch updates.

--
Nicolas Pouillard
http://nicolaspouillard.fr