[arch-haskell] creation of haskell (or ghc) pacman group

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Oct 12 07:39:35 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 13:03, Peter Hercek <phercek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a call to create pacman group with name haskell (or ghc or something
> similar). All packages which depend on ghc would belong to the group. The
> reason why I would like to see this is to allow disabling update of any ghc
> dependency easily in pacman.conf. It would be cool if something like
> "IgnoreGroup = haskell" in /etc/pacman.conf would postpone update of any ghc
> dependency. Normally non-haskell packages do not need this but since haskell
> has no backward binary compatibility it can be really useful sometimes.

This situation is the reason for having specific versions in all
dependencies. Is there a scenario where this wouldn't be enough?

> If somebody installs everything from haskell, then this would also allow
> installing everything at once (using the group name). Although for this to
> work we might need first to make sure there are no duplicates between
> extra/community/haskell repositories. Not sure how trying to install whole
> group would behave when it hits duplicates (like e.g. gtk2hs-gtk in
> community and haskell-gtk2hs-gtk in haskell (well, the one in haskell is
> more useful since it provides glade bindings too)).

The goal is to have no such overlap. The problem is to recognise when
such an overlap occurs. There are two situations that ArchHaskell
needs to notice:

1. A Haskell package in core/extra/community is updated to a new version
2. A Haskell package is added to core/extra/community

Is there some way of (semi-)automating this already?

Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org