[arch-haskell] Compiling large-memory programs in HABS (gitit available for those with RAM)

Leif Warner abimelech at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 07:39:20 UTC 2013

gitit 0.8 came out yesterday, and thanks to its upgrade to happstack 6, can
now be built on the current set of HABS packages.
Provided you have at least 4 GB of RAM, I'm guessing.  It looks like the
linking the executable stage takes up 2.5 GB of RAM, and it's not going to
build in any reasonable amount of time on my 64-bit 2GB box.
I was going to try dynamically linking it, but the command-line option for
that doesn't seem support in the installed version of Cabal.
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/600
So, I was thinking of firing up a Large (7.5 GB) EC2 instance to compile it.
 Does a similar option exist for 32-bit?
gitit is a nice tool to run, but the build requirements might put off casual
usage - this is a real advantage to having pre-built binary packages
available.

Also, in the future, should I throw in a heads up when packages take say,
over 1GB of RAM to build?

-Leif Warner