[arch-haskell] State of Affairs: Summarizing 83 days worth of experience

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sat Oct 12 07:37:58 UTC 2013

Hi Magnus,

 > To be very blunt, I said your EXPERIENCE is invaluable. In your
 > initial email you didn't recount that experience in a way that
 > clearly pointed out what wasn't working. That means your initial
 > email wasn't invaluable, because there was nothing in it that I could
 > act on.

yes, you are right. In an ideal world, I would have written my original
message differently. I was frustrated, because I had spent quite a lot
of time working on this project, and it felt like the quality of the
results that I was able to achieve didn't compare favorably to the
amount of effort that was necessary to achieve them. So I was
disappointed, and that emotion clearly showed in my message. Obviously,
my message would have been more helpful if it had been written from a
purely objective point of view. However, since I *am* emotionally
involved in this project, it is hard for me to be 100% objective. Still,
the fact that I'm not 100% objective does not imply that my perception
would be entirely wrong or inaccurate.

In your response, you ignored the contents of my message, because you
felt that it didn't contain any specific information that you could act
on. You didn't say that, though. Instead, you said the opposite: you
said that my feedback would be invaluable (even though you clearly
didn't believe that it was, or you would have responded to it). To me,
that looked as if you would dismiss my point of view.

Personally, I believe that everyone on this list has nothing but the
best intentions, but we are imperfect human beings who are prone to
miscommunications. Apparently, we've had a miscommunication. Now that we
have cleared that up, I think the way to go is to forget about it, and
to move forward. Is that all right with you?

Take care,
Peter