[arch-haskell] On datafiles in libraries

Rémy Oudompheng remyoudompheng at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 07:37:54 UTC 2013

On 2011/1/7 Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> I've just created issue 20[1] for cabal2arch.  Basically there's a problem
> with the data files provided in archlinux, but used in cabal2arch.  Having
> data files in a library package breaks our basic assumption that executables
> only need to makedepend on the libraries it uses.
>
> In this case I still think that we should remove the data files completely
> from the packages and only host them at a well-known URL (on
> kiwilight.com or
> haskell.org).  cabal2arch should then default to use that URL, for
> development
> and testing it might be interesting to add a command line switch to load it
> from another location, a URL or file.
>
> For now I assigned the issue to Remy.  Feel free to re-assign it if you want
> to.

Since I had the patches on my local repository, I pushed them
upstream. For the moment, it still uses files, because I also think
cabal2arch should remain usable without an internet connection, and
have reproducibility properties. However, it's only a matter of
seconds to make it use
  http://andromeda.kiwilight.com/~remy.oudompheng/arch-haskell/default/
instead.

--