[arch-haskell] State of Affairs: Summarizing 83 days worth of experience

Tasha Buckley etherealgoddess at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 07:37:54 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> wrote:

>  2) Lack of communication. In my experience, it's incredible hard to get
>    I've repeatedly asked for packages in [extra] to be
>    updated, because I needed newer versions to build other packages in
>    habs, but those updates just don't happen. Maybe there are good
>    technical reasons why those updates don't happen, but that's beside
>    the point. The point is that I don't know anything about it, and I
>    don't know how to find out either.

I thought [extra] was specifically meant to track the official Haskell
Platform and secondarily provide XMonad's deps. At least (about the
HP), that's what's stated on the Arch haskell.org wiki as well as in
the Haskell packaging guidelines in the Arch wiki proper. Yet some
packages like mtl and parsec have been repeatedly version bumped to be
out of compliance from personal experience and looking at the git
history.

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse since the problems have been fixed
and are quickly addressed, but most Haskell packages in [extra] really
shouldn't be getting updated in the sense of a version bump (from what
I understand) until a new version of the HP comes out or there's an
official policy change.