[arch-haskell] AUR Comment for haskell-platform

AUR Feedback simons at cryp.to
Sat Oct 12 07:37:44 UTC 2013

from http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=26279
giniu wrote:

I'd say build whole haskell platform from source. Even though
according to the wiki, haskel-arch projects mission statement is to
include haskell-platform in extra/community - and it would be cool -
but it doesn't really work that way as far as I see. Sometimes
packages are to new, sometimes some are to old - for example GHC 7 is
already in testing and I guess it will be in extra sooner than 2-3
months, blocking this again. It took more than 4 months to update to
2010.2.0.0 and 2011 version will be out in few months. I unfortunately
have to agree that it's not best way to get latest HP. Or haskell as
whole, for example you will have troubles getting newer versions of
Leksah, because it rely on haddock during install, and cabal don't see
the afaik stripped version of haddock that comes with ghc and is used
to build docs. Unfortunately ghc "provides haddock" in PKGBUILD so you
cannot install haddock package from AUR... even link to HP page points
to 404...

Better go to http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/linux.html - grab
.tar.gz and follow simple instructions to install it into /usr/local.
After all, new HP comes out once-twice a year so it's not that much
work. At least that's what I do for now.

---
If you no longer wish to receive notifications about this package,
please go the the above package page and click the UnNotify button.