[arch-haskell] Re: [extra] haskell-parallel

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sat Oct 12 07:37:40 UTC 2013

Hi Xyne,

 > "haskell-foo" would contain foo 1.4, foo 1.5 and whatever other
 > versions of foo that one could reasonably expect.

the idea is intriguing.

This kind of setup means, though, that when a new version foo 1.6 comes
out, re-building haskell-foo consists of builds of foo 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6
-- because all these versions are contained in the package. Assuming that
all libraries are built in variants for profiling and shared linking, then
"foo" must be compiled a whopping 12 times to build that package.

Also, it means that users download the same code over and over again with
every update, because haskell-foo 1.6 contains exactly those copies of foo
1.4 and 1.5 that they've already installed.

It's not a particularly efficient solution, but as far as I can tell, it
would get the job done.

Take care,
Peter