[arch-haskell] Where are we headed?

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sat Oct 12 07:37:39 UTC 2013

Hi,

As mentioned in the other thread, I contacted Kaiting about hosting for the
Arch Haskell group. Here's the reply:

Kaiting Chen wrote:

> Hi Xyne, so you know that for a while I've been trying to get a new server
> up on EC2. It's just about done, so if you guys don't mind being test
> subjects I'd like to set you up there. Note that the new server is built on
> ephemeral storage and thus in the case of a hardware failure all data will
> be lost. On the other hand it is backed up every thirty minutes. If you need
> greater granularity than that please keep critical data in an off-location
> version controlled store. Disk space and bandwidth are not a problem at the
> moment, and I'll let you know if they will be.
>
> I believe that ACL's are supported. That is the preferred way of sharing
> things right now. Let me know if you need anything beyond that.
>
> And if you guys are hosting a repo, I can set up a VirtualHost for you.
>
> Kaiting.

I replied to say that it sounds good and that I don't think we'll need finer
granularity. I also said that I wanted to discuss the name of the VirtualHost
with the team before setting it up.

So, what do you think?

Don Stewart wrote:

> Can I suggest that the new team declares a strategy, then describes a
> policy to implement that?
>
>     http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Arch_Linux/Policy
>
> Always good to write down what you're trying to do.
>
> :-)
>

> -- Don

I suggest that the new team declares itself first. ;)

It may be a good time to do this now as we will need to set up accounts for
team members on the aforementioned server.

As for my part in it all, I hope to do the following:

* contribute and collaborate on tools for managing binary and source repos on
  the server, along with generally helping to manage the server

* provide tools for users to work with packages (installation, building from
  source, etc)

* help in my capacity as a TU by supporting packages in [community] and the
  AUR, and eventually [extra] if my help is wanted

* help out with whatever else I can

/Xyne