[arch-haskell] Re: [extra] haskell-parallel

Peter Hercek phercek at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 07:37:39 UTC 2013

On 11/11/2010 06:07 PM, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Peter Hercek<phercek at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> Just for reference, this is basically what the Debian policy on
>>> Haskell packages is.
>>>
>> Good policy, if they can have it automated. If pacman (or I should rather
>> say makepkg) has such a option then great. If not we should check whether we
>> can add it there. We want the final exact version for dependency to be fixed
>> during build time. The PKGBUILD files need to contain the version ranges as
>> the cabal files.
>>
>> If we cannot have this late version fix during makepkg then I say just let
>> it be as it is. If a user wants to go into the troubles with the source
>> packages then he/she should be able to take care about knowing and obeying
>> the haskell quirks.
>>
>> Well maybe we could try to provide a small wraper over makepkg (something
>> like haskell-makepkg) which should be used for haskell source packages ...
>> if we cannot get this fixed in the makepkg itself.
> A few weeks I hacked makepkg to add this very feature, I didn't took
> time to test
> it exhaustively nor to propose it to the authors.
>
> As an attachment here is a diff against the makepkg found in pacman-3.4.1-1,
> it adds the --freeze-deps flag that change the package versions to be exactly
> the one on the build system.
>
> I would be glad to see this feature used here, and then proposed to the authors
> on the behalf of the Arch-Haskell team.

I did not test it, but it looks like it fixes all dependencies or none.
That is not what would be good for us. We want to fix only haskell
dependencies. We typically do not want to freeze dependencies on C libs
(e.g. in the case of gtk2hs we do not want freeze our dependency on gtk
exactly).

So something like a possibility to add a line like this to PKGBUILD file
would be fine:
FREEZEDEPS=('haskell-http' 'haskell-pandoc')
or better something like:
FREEZEDEPS_REGEX=('haskel-hp-.*' 'haskell-.*')