[arch-haskell] Re: habs updates

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sat Oct 12 07:37:27 UTC 2013

Hi Magnus,

 > The situation now is that 'cabal2arch' (or rather 'archlinux') again
 > knows what packages are provided by the 'ghc' package. Resulting in a
 > list that has to be maintained by a person who isn't intimately
 > involved in packaging 'ghc' [...]. AFAICS this also forces a
 > re-release of cabal2arch when the list of core packages changes.

you are right, this is a very convincing reason to list all
dependencies, including those on standard libraries.

I understand those changes were pushed to 'master' by accident; so I
suggest we revert them. I am still in favor of dropping the comment
about 'provides', though, because IMHO the issue yahourt had with that
feature has been fixed; 'provides' should not cause any trouble for
anyone anymore.

Eventually, we might even consider replacing the dependency on "ghc"
with, say "haskell-compiler", and have "ghc" provide that. This change
would open the door for supporting other compilers transparently.

Take care
Peter