[arch-haskell] What to do about --enable-shared?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Oct 12 07:37:22 UTC 2013

On 27/10/10 19:11, Peter Simons wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've made some tests with --enable-shared, and the good news is that it
> works great. The bad news is that Cabal doesn't honor the flag when building
> executables. Apparently, this is a known issue:
>
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/600
>
> A work-around that has been suggested is to specify --ghc-opt=-dynamic for
> builds that contain executables, but this solution feels kind of hack'ish.
> On the other hand, shared linkage cuts down binary size a lot, which is
> good.
>
> How do you feel about this issue? Any preferences?

My gut says it's pointless to add --enable-shared if we don't also make sure
executables are made to use shared libs.

Would it be possible to somehow configure ghc in Arch to do all of this,
both
for libs and the hack for exes, automatically?

magnus@therning.org           Jabber: magnus@therning.org