[arch-haskell] How to update packages in extra?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Oct 12 07:37:11 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 13:31, Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:
> The reason that I suggested a separate [arch-haskell] repo in the first place
> was to avoid all of these considerations. I still think it might be much simpler
> to remove all Haskell packages from [extra] and most from [community] and
> maintain them in a separate repo. If it were official like the [multilib] repo
> then it could be enabled by default in pacman.conf.
> Basically any package that would need to be part of a topological rebuild would
> be in [arch-haskell]. This would exclude some packages from [community] but
> this would have no effect on the end user as it would be enabled by default in
> pacman.conf and just as accessible. [community] and [arch-haskell] could also
> be codependent, i.e. deps from one could be in the other, as both could be
> expected to be enabled by default.
> The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that this is the optimal
> approach. This guarantees that we can maintain internal consistency with
> topological (and maybe even automatic) rebuilds and we do not need to worry
> about others remaining synchronized with our build cycle. It keeps everything
> in one place and would also gain the benefits of being mirrored with the rest
> of the official repos.

I agree with you about this.  However, this raises the question of how
we make this is to happen.  Who do we have to convince?  What do we
have to do?

Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus@therning.org          Jabber: magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus         identi.ca|twitter: magthe