[arch-haskell] [haskell-web] & ghc 7.6.3

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu May 30 18:27:26 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 01:15:50PM +0200, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
> Quoting Ramana Kumar (2013-05-29 09:45:19)
> > On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 8:15 AM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org>wrote:
> >
> > > Please let me know if you /do/ retire [habs-web] as there might be a
> > > number of commonly used packages in there that ought to be moved into
> > > [haskell-core].  I'm guessing you don't have any kind of usage
> > > statistics on the packages, do you? ;)
> > >

> > I think it's best to consider habs-web retired as of now, since it
> > currently has no maintainer.
> > However, as far as moving packages goes, it would probably be fine to wait
> > until someone explicitly asks for something that was in web to be made
> > available in core.
>
> I am/was also a user of habs-web for roughly two use-cases:
>   * haskell programs such as git-annex or notmuch-web [0] that I want
>     to build once and install multiple times.
>   * my strategy to reduce compilation time was to install all binary
>     haskell packages available and then use cabal install for the
>     rest.
>
> I wolud like to also suggest that as long as storage permits we
> should keep the latest version of a working set of packages for each
> version of GHC. This does not cost much to just keep a copy before
> trying an upgrade and this would help users migrating.

I don't think I understand what you mean by "we should keep the latest
version of a working set of packages for each version of GHC".  Would
you mind describing in a few more words what that means?

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with
millions of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural
integrity, but just done by brute force and thousands of slaves.
     -- Alan Kay