[arch-haskell] Improve user experience with Haskell

Fabien Dubosson fabien.dubosson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 18:31:01 UTC 2013

Hello ArchHaskellers,

This thread follows a discussion started on github [1].

Brief summary: The discussion started from a pull request to make
`haskell-archlinux` work with GHC 7.6.3. Magnus informed me that this
project is nearly abandoned and asked for my usage of it. I answered
that my goal was to write an Haskell tool to monitor AUR `haskell-*`
packages because a lot are outdated/orphan. Then Magnus explained me
that you decided to drop AUR support some years ago. Finally I gave the
reasons of my original idea and we agreed to port the discussion here.

The original observation that brings me planning to monitor AUR packages
came from the forum. People continue to use AUR packages (or even cabal)
for Haskell because they don't know that an ArchHaskell effort exist to
bring, in a clean way, Haskell packages to Archlinux. For me, the two
reasons are 1. all old `haskell-*` packages still exist in AUR, and 2.
the informations about [haskell-core] repo are «hidden» in the Haskell
packaging guidelines page in the wiki — not an obvious place for normal
users.

So to improve user experience with Haskell I suggest two improvements:

  1. Create a `Haskell` page in the wiki to explain:
    - What is Haskell
    - The different ways to handle packages (AUR/Cabal/ArchHaskell)
    - All other Haskell-related stuffs (Haskell-platform, etc...)
  2. Remove from AUR all `haskell-*` packages that are both:
    - Not needed as dependency of another package, and
    - Orphan

So any observations, objections, suggestions, recommendations before I
start to work on that (i.e. create the wiki page and prepare the list)?

Kind regards,
Fabien

[1] https://github.com/archhaskell/archlinux/pull/14