[arch-haskell] Dynamic executables and RPATH

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Dec 11 20:26:19 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 09:27:09PM +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 09:09:33PM +0100, Fabien Dubosson wrote:
> > > Another proposal here: http://is.gd/EbUJXu-
> >
> > That seems a good solution. I have 2 suggestions:
> >
> >  - Remove the `chrpath` dependency which is not needed
> >  - Use a ${_ghcversion}="ghc-7.6.3" variable to replace in
> >     > text "mkdir ${pkgdir}/usr/lib/ghc-7.6.3/shared" <$>
> >     > text "(cd ${pkgdir}/usr/lib/ghc-7.6.3/shared;" <$>
> >     > text "    for f in $(find .. -name \\*-ghc7.6.3.so); do" <$>
> >
> > But that's just cosmetic :-)
> >
> > I think it is time now to test all this from A to Z! So I would
> > suggest to also create a `dynlinking` branch on the `habs`
> > repository that would contain the GHC's changes (add a
> > `haskell.conf` file, add a call to `ldconfig` in the PKGBUILD). This
> > will let people (or at least us, I don't know if any other person is
> > following this thread ;) the opportunity to test the proposal
> > completely, from the build of GHC to the use of built executables
> > and libraries, with both habs and cblrepo proposed changes.
>
> I'm currently attempting to re-build all of the packages with these
> changes in place.  You can try them out by adding the following
> (temporary) repo:
>
> [haskell-testing]
> Server = http://xsounds.org/~haskell/testing/\$arch

I've abandoned this attempt at the moment.  I got stuck on building
gtk.  I haven't looked closely at it, but it seems to build some
helper binary as a first step, before building the package itself.
This helper refused to link properly with dynamic libs.  I don't
really have time or patience to conduct such a major rebuild at this
point in time.  If someone else feels strongly about this and want to
spend some time on it, I'll be happy to give any pointers regarding
how to get as far as I did.

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

The British have "the perfect temperament to be hackers--technically
skilled, slightly disrespectful of authority, and just a touch of
criminal behavior".
     -- Mary Ann Davidson, Oracle's Security Chief