[arch-haskell] http-conduit

Ramana Kumar ramana at member.fsf.org
Tue Sep 25 11:07:03 CEST 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Fabio Riga <rifabio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there concrete plans to merge it into the main [haskell] repo (i.e. to
>
>> merge habs-extra into habs)?
>> If not, can we start to make some? What are the blocking factors?
>>

> There are no concrete plans. The main blocking factor is lack of time.

I hereby offer a portion of my time.
It would be economical for you and Magnus to prioritise making it easy for
me (and other newcomers) to spend their time usefully on the arch-haskell
project.
That means: write down the immediate next steps in a public prominent place
(I suggest the Arch Haskell page on the Arch Linux wiki), and, as possible
(I realise you are busy!), spend time replying to the mailing list (not
doing so badly so far) and to people on the IRC channel.

I am specifically interested in knowing more about the multi-distro
approach, whereby many people can maintain small pieces of arch-haskell but
it can still be collected into one big repo to point pacman at.
Is there a quick way to generate the list of packages on hackage that are
not yet packaged for Arch?
I would like to try, for example, taking the first (or most interesting) 10
packages on that list, packaging them and making them into my repo, then
connecting it up to the arch-haskell ecosystem.

> For the way [habs] works, one mantainer have to compile all pakages. This
> is a LOT of work, and I understand why Magnus rarely accepts new packages.
> [habs-extra] has the intent to address this problem, see my other reply for
> this.

I hereby offer my resources to "compile all pakages" on the condition that
[haskell] gets better quicker, and until we sort out a better way to make
it better (e.g. the distributed approach).