[arch-haskell] ghc: /usr/share/doc/ghc/html/libraries/hslogo-16.png exists in filesystem

Leif Warner abimelech at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 20:25:16 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:

> On 15 October 2012 11:00, Thomas Friedrich <info at suud.de> wrote:

> >> The problem seems to be that those files were not part of any package,
> >> but now are in ghc.

> more problems (although everything installed, there were many warnings
> about interface files
> some manual removals then reinstalls.
> >>
> >> This is a problem with ghc-pkg version. For previous version of ghc I
> had to do:
> >>
> >>   $ pacman -Rcs ghc
> >>
> >> then reinstall ghc and needed haskell-* packages. I think you'll want
> >> to remove the offending files before installing ghc again. I hope this
> >> solve the problem.
> >

> > Why is it that every single time there is a ghc-update, I have to
> > remove everything and reinstall everything haskell related. Haskell is
> > such a cool language but keeping a Haskell environment up-to-date is
> > sometimes just a real pain.
>
> As Haskell newbie and new born Hakyll users, I've found recent
> replies [1] by Ian Ross interesting:
>
> "I'm also using Arch Linux on x86_64.  I would strongly recommend *not*
> using the Arch packages for most Haskell things.  I use hsenv instead."
>
> I haven't switched myself and I still use the packages, but I started to
> wonder if Ian's got the point indeed.
>
> [1] https://groups.google.com/d/topic/hakyll/9G1qXBA4raU/discussion

If you want sandboxed environments, in addtion to hsenv, there's also
cabal-dev [1] and coup [2].
I've been using arch-haskell in one form or another for as long as I've
been on Arch - indeed, it's what drew me to Arch originally.  For things
that are lacking, I just make my own PKGBUILD or cabal-install extra stuff
at the user level on top of it.

-Leif

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/cabal-dev
[2] https://github.com/janrain/coup