[arch-haskell] The PKGBUILD provides array

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Mar 8 10:10:41 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 03:13, Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:
> Alessandro Pezzoni wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> when I asked about it, Magnus Therning explained why they were removed
>> [1]. As this seems to affect only ghc, it looks to me like their only
>> reason to be kept there would be to simplify making packages with
>> PKGBUILDs generated by cabal2arch (such as most of those on the AUR),
>> which is deprecated in favour of cblrepo. Is there another reason to
>> keep them?
>>
>> Alessandro
>>
>> 1: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.arch-linux/1335
>
> Let's say that I want to create some private Haskell packages. These will
> depend on certain modules and/or packages. Without proper provides arrays, I
> need to keep track of what is provided by ghc & co. myself and update my
> dependency arrays whenever it changes. This is not practical.
>
> Automatically populating the array should not be an issue. It just provides
> additional information for others without affecting the internal consistency of
> [haskell]. Unless it's really hard to generate the array itself, I see only
> advantages in doing so and I hope that it will be re-instated.

Good reason for re-adding the provides array.  I'll make sure it's
added the next time I re-build the ghc package.  As Alessandro pointed
out it's fairly easy to auto-generate it from the contents of
'cblrepo.db'.

Currently my focus is on re-adding packages to [haskell] so it might
take a little while until I get around to it.  Is that all right?

Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org