[arch-haskell] Future of arch-haskell.

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Wed Mar 7 05:28:08 CET 2012

Thomas Dziedzic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently found out arch-haskell has completely split from using archlinux.
> I was wondering what your future plans are for arch-haskell as you
> have become a completely separate entity. (providing all your own
> packages)
> I expressed in a previous mail that I would like to work together
> rather than having you guys split off from arch completely, but that
> is your choice.
>
> I also read some mails on this ml about getting official status.
> Splitting off completely and not communicating your intentions with me
> is not going to get you an official status if that is your intention.
> Instead, communication and coordination with me is crucial for that to
> have any chance.
>
> I am still for working together, but we need to start talking if you
> also want to work together.
> Otherwise, I wish this community the very best of luck if you choose
> to completely split.
>
> Cheers!

Hi,

Haskell packages require topological rebuilds and that always seems to cause
problems when a rebuild needs to be coordinated across 3+ repos with even more
packagers. The recent updates have left several users in dependency hell and
unable to upgrade their systems.

In theory you could put all of the packages either in [extra] or in [community]
to more easily manage the rebuilds, but no one with access to those repos is
going to do that (the tools aren't in place, and getting them in place would
be an uphill battle).

Besides, it really makes sense to have them in a separate Haskell repo. They
form a large set of related packages, and they require highly coordinated
rebuilds.

Magnus has both the skills and motivation to maintain such a repo. Official
status or not, the goal is to provide working packages for the user and this
will do just that.

The redundancy with [extra] and [community] is unfortunate, but ideally the
devs would realize that this approach is optimal and support this repo.
Redundant packages could then be removed from other repos.

Please don't see this as stepping on your toes. Try to see the benefits of this
approach and support it as it will vastly improve the end-user experience for
all Archers who use Haskell.

Regards,
Xyne