[arch-haskell] Building the Haskell ABS tree

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Jun 25 22:15:16 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:29:26PM -0400, gdweber at iue.edu wrote:
> Thanks for this advice and also Magnus's.
>
> I've made some progress, and have made a pull request to
> archhaskell/habs -- my first contribution to the project!
>
> But since then I've pulled from archhaskell/habs and have conflicts
> in cblrepo.db.  What is the best thing to do here -- should I try to
> resolve the conflicts on my end (and make another pull request?) or
> will Magnus resolve the conflicts (assuming he accepts my pull
> request) and I fetch them later?

It's always best to make sure your changes are rebased onto
habs/master, that makes it trivial to pull them.

> Also, I've noticed that most pull requests are from master to
> master.  Is this the best way, or is it preferred to make a branch
> for any set of packages that we want to contribute?

Personally I think this stems from peoples' inexperience with git.
It's definitely preferred to make a separate branch for your changes
and create a pull request from it.  Then use the master branch only to
track habs/master.

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with
millions of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural
integrity, but just done by brute force and thousands of slaves.
     -- Alan Kay