[arch-haskell] Upgrading to monad-control-0.3

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Jan 3 07:04:53 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 08:11:31PM +0100, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 11:21:22AM +0100, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> To package the latest and greatest version of git-annex I need to
>>> have monad-control-0.3.
>>>
>>> However this depend on the update of yesod and would break mongoDB
>>> as well.
>>>
>>> I'm quite short on times these days and would like to know if this
>>> is gonna happen soon or not?
>>>
>>> In the meantime I email the author of the mongoDB haskell package.
>>
>> It's *very* unlikely to happen.  As you probably noticed yourself
>> any update to yesod would necessitate an update of attoparsec to at
>> least 0.10, which in turn requires an update to text and text lives
>> in [extra].
>
> I didn't remember that this was so constrained. Did someone asked
> the maintainer? If there are good reasons to keep one of these
> packages at an old version then we should consider having multiple
> versions of such packages. I heartly persuaded that while we should
> keep that at a minimum we should have some packages at multiple
> versions.

This sort of situation is what is keeping a lot of [haskell] behind
what's on hackage; the packages in [extra]/[community] (especially
haskell-platform of course) tend to put some rather strict limits on
what can be upgraded.

I'm not convinced keeping multiple versions of packages is a good
option though.  I personally think that the better option would be to
make sure we remove the obstacles currently in place that prevent us
from tracking the edge of hackage.

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with
millions of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural
integrity, but just done by brute force and thousands of slaves.
     -- Alan Kay