[arch-haskell] How to determine whether a package is in or out in [haskell]?

Nicolas Pouillard nicolas.pouillard at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 11:32:05 CET 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 11:12 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 10:50:03PM +0100, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Send it where?  To the mailing list?
>>
>> Or something more realtime like IRC (#archhaskell)
>
> Mailing list is the only viable solution given the build times
> required for some updates.  Multi-hour builds that are announced in
> IRC simply won't work.  I'll use the mailing list for now.

I do not see why but anyway mailing list is fine as well.

>>AUR votes could be took in account as well if we could download them.
>
> You point out the obvious problem with using AUR.  A package has to
> already exist on AUR for a user to be able to cast a vote on it.  In
> our case, who's going to upload to AUR to begin with?

I agree AUR is not a good fit for archhaskell.

> No, I think we need another place for voting, one where we can add a
> list of all package on Hackage, without doing much work and without
> committing to do any future work.  Ideally that place would be Hackage
> itself.  Do you happen to know some other place that we could use for
> this?

There is two kind of votes. The kind of votes we find on AUR and will find
on Hackage, these are permanent and might not be completely useful
in the long run. The other kind of votes I was referring to is more one
periodic basis. Where we ask, say on the mailing list, for users to vote
for packages from Hackage. Then we can use this info to both remove
packages and add new ones.

--
Nicolas Pouillard
http://nicolaspouillard.fr