[arch-haskell] How to determine whether a package is in or out in [haskell]?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Nov 11 22:40:12 CET 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 10:26:54PM +0100, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
[...]
>>> Moreover I'm not fond of this kind of race.
>>
>> Neither am I, but I see no way easy way of addressing that.
>
> A way to quickly sending notices that a change is in progress.

Send it where?  To the mailing list?

>> I'm a
>> strong believer in only pushing changes once they build, and the only
>> way of making sure of that is to make the build.  Building ~50
>> packages takes quite a while.
>
> Yes but you pushed the x86_64 while the i686 was not fully built.
>
> I recommend the following:
>
> * build one arch
> * git push
> * build the other
> * push both

Good suggestion, I will adopt this.

[...]

> Currently, there are not much users. And I want this repo to at
> least suit my needs otherwise I will simply build them for my use. I
> prefer to have the side effect of being potentially useful for
> someone else.

Fair enough, but I still ask of you to consider that every package you
add will result in longer build times and that affects everyone who
works on keeping [haskell] up-to-date.

>>> So for me we move out broken packages that we cannot quickly fix
>>> if they are not much used.
>>
>> How do we find out if they aren't used?
>
> I don't know. Maybe we can GC with a kind of vote/lease system.
> Imagine the following use case:
>
> $ cblrepo vote agda haskell-pandoc ...
>
> Which would transitively mark these packages as used (or add a voice to them, or
> put a timestamp).
>
> $ git commit ; git push
>
> Everyone does the same and then:
>
> $ cblrepo remove `cblrepo unused`
> $ cblrepo clearvotes

I'm not sure I understand the thinking behind this, but I suspect this
would mean that only people with commit access to our habs repo may
vote.  Or did I get that wrong?

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
     -- Alan Kay