[arch-haskell] Haskell's state in Arch & near future

Leif Warner abimelech at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 21:28:29 CET 2011

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 1:16 AM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 08:22:54PM +0100, Peter Hercek wrote:
> [...]
> > I personally do not mind if we would move quicker than haskell
> > platform. Though it means additional work so it is up to the
> > maintainers.
>
> The main problem with actually getting the speed we'd like is that the
> speed of upstream developers is a limiting factor.  With each package
> that is added to ArchHaskell we add yet another possible speed bump.
> Finding a solution is tricky, since the only option that doesn't
> require a lot of resources is dropping packages.

I've noticed, when trying to update some things, that there's been a few
packages moving past Haskell Platform and requiring GHC 7.2.1.

> > Dropping all haskell packages from aur is a good idea. Maybe we
> > should leave there only one "dummy" package which would point
> > haskell newbies to a description how to get additional haskell
> > packages which a archlinux user would expect to be in aur.
>
> IIRC yaourt can install packages directly from hackage.  Is that still
> the case?
> If so I'll be more than happy to disown all AUR packages and close
> down the arch-haskell account.
>
> /M

Yaourt doesn't do that, afaik. That was bauerbill I think. It's nice having
the Haskell packages on AUR, but not if they're not kept up-to-date.  Many
of the arch-haskell PKGBUILDs that are "outdated" up there will still build
fine if the dependencies on specific versions are removed.
If we're going to the trouble to maintain working PKGBUILDs for the binary
repo, why not sync those up to AUR, and disown the rest?

-Leif