[arch-haskell] Issues with cabal2arch/AUR packages

Leif Warner abimelech at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 00:15:30 CEST 2011

I think by "binary" you mean the executables installed by a Haskell package
(under /usr/bin), as opposed to libraries (under /usr/lib)?  Just a little
confusing, as I'm only used to calling the pre-compiled packages
(.pkg.tar.xz files) that.  Those are only on the standard arch linux repos
(core, extra, community), and our haskell one.  AUR and HABS have no
binaries, just PKGBUILD scripts.

If you use yaourt to install Haskell packages from AUR, it should pull in
any needed dependencies that exist as Arch packages.  Haskell packages that
are only an executable should have no run-time dependencies (no Haskell ones
anyway), so you're free to uninstall any Haskell packages that were built as
dependencies.  If you're using the arch-haskell binary repo, it won't
install any build-time dependencies, anyways.
  If there's programs that need dependencies in versions not provided by
arch-haskell, we could try to fix it, but you might just have to
cabal-install it.

  You can of course, only use cabal-install for all your Haskell packages,
and only use Arch packages for providing e.g. Haskell Platform, if you don't
wish to manage your Haskell packages as Arch packages.  I go this route with
Ruby gems.

-Leif Warner